Friday, November 13, 2009

Foyer Walls



Here you can see I've built a wall for the foyer.
Click here to read the rest of this entry...
Actually, I built two walls at the same time (and the assembly-line process really helped speed things up a bit). Here's the other one:

Here's an overview shot for some perspective.

The front door will be in the wall near the bottom of the photo. To the right is the doorway to the dining room, which I'm almost finished with. To the left is the doorway to the parlor, which I've not yet begun. Toward the top of the photo is the ballroom. Eventually, there will be a grand curving staircase in this foyer, leading up to the second floor.

I'm pretty excited about the crown molding I created for the entry. I used some leftover molding I already had for the top portion and some quarter-round for the lower portion, but for the decorative molding in between, I used some braided trim I bought at the fabric store. This what it looked like prior to painting.

And this is a detail shot of it after painting it.

This first time, I glued on the trim before painting the entire piece, which was a bit of a mistake. It took a long time, and probably about 10 coats of paint, to get in all those nooks and crannies. Next time, I'll paint the wood backing separately, and then maybe dip the trim in paint to get it all covered before assembling it. If that works better, I'll let you know.

16 comments:

Amanda S. said...

I love it! And the green you chose for the walls is a great color.

rosanna said...

BELLISSIMO, I love it, it's a gorgeous idea.Thank you for sharing Rosanna

Eliza said...

I agree with Amanda, the green is great, and the trim is very delicate!

rudoo said...

I agree! The green is beautiful! I have some questions for you. Could you e-mail me privatly? Thanks, Jonna rudoo@bellsouth.net

dalesdreams said...

It's absolutely gorgeous!

Using trim for decorative molding is a great idea. :)

Josje said...

Beautiful effect. I also like the green a lot, it's the same colour I have on the walls of my real living room ;)

Unknown said...

Wow,everytime I look at your work I'm amazed by this perfection!!! I love the walls,floors,doors...and using trim for decoration is so clever! Love it all,can't wait for the next post?

Hug,
sabiha

Sans! said...

A long awaited post and only 1 sentence ??! :)

Seriously though, if not for the bar code on the side of the unpainted beams, your beautifully executed front elevation foyer looks like it belong to a real manor. The painting is flawless (or is it wallpaper?)

I can see that you have started wiring too. You are progressing at lightning pace. ;p!

Texas Belle said...

Sans, you do know if you click "Read more" it opens up the rest of the post? I kind of like tis feature, because it keeps the main blog page pretty clean (and it can load faster for those with dial up), but if it's confusing, perhaps I should get rid of it? All opinions welcome!

And thanks so much for the comments, everyone. Sometimes I'm pleased with the way something has turned out, but not really sure whether it looks good to anyone else. Your comments are so helpful and appreciated!

Sans! said...

Oops! Sorry, I do know that you have this feature on your blog. I don't remember seeing that just now. My bad! I like it too because I think your pages load faster.

Texas Belle said...

LOL, Sans, you're not the first! I decided that maybe "Read more" isn't very descriptive, so I've changed it to say "Click here to read the rest of this entry." DO you think this will help?

Sans! said...

MUCH better ! Esp for a blind bat like me ..lol. You added that after my comment right? Surely, I couldn't have missed that!

Unknown said...

Belle, who would have thought to use trim as crown moulding? What a fantastic idea and it came out beautifully! You're a genius!

I really love the color of the walls here . . . very elegant.

Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Teresa

kaydee said...

Oh how beautiful!! I love the green also and the trim worked out very well. It's such fun to find new uses for things intended for something else. I really enjoy seeing your creative process in action. Nice work!

Ara said...

Stunning!!! Can't believe the braided trim worked that well! And again I say... stunning! Here's a question... how do you paint everything so perfectly? Do you have any tips or tricks? Hugs - ara

mivionnet said...

the work you're doing in your dollhouse is amazing!
I am really loving your blog!
please put more messages!